Here we have shared tips to store meat in the freezer. We buy meat quite often, but mainly during the holidays. Even if it is raw or cooked, beef, poultry, pork or lamb, by reading this article you can find out how to refrigerate or freeze the meat, avoiding the danger of getting sick.
Step by Step Guide to Preserve Meat in Freezer
First of all you need to take into consideration these aspects:
- Put the meat in the coldest part of the refrigerator (temperatures between 0°C and +4°C);
- Do not put the packets of meat one over the other.
- No matter how did you buy the meat, pre-packaged in trays or in vid, do not remove the packaging to put it on plates or in airtight boxes, you risk to affect the conservation, which can range from 3 to 4 weeks.
- The meat products, prepared or bought from the butcher, can be kept in their original package (the most suitable is the one made of wax paper).
Taking into consideration the purchase date:
- If we talk about organs (liver, kidney, heart), you can refrigerate 1-2 days and can be keept in the freezer for 3 to 4 months. In the case of beef meat (steaks / Gigot), it can remain in the freezer for 6-9 months.
- The beef meat for steak can be refrigerated for 3-5 days and frozen for 6-12 months.
- Pork meat (ribs or steak) can be refrigerated for 3-4 days and frozen for 4-6 months.
- The meat for stews or sautee dishes can be refrigerated for 2 days or frozen for 6 months. Cooked meat stays in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- The chicken, duck or turkey meat, cut into pieces, can stand in refrigerator 1-2 days and in the freezer for 6 months.
To avoid any intoxication you must:
- Use isothermal bags during transport;
- Do not buy meat whose packaging has been opened, has damaged labels or has no label;
- Check the expiration date.
When you arrive at home:
- Do not let the meat too much time on the kitchen table. Bacteria proliferate quickly at ambient temperature. Put them immediately in the refrigerator or freezer directly.
- Make sure the refrigerator temperature is set to at least 4 ° C and the freezer at - 18 ° C.
- When you prepare the meat you have to:
- Marinate the meat first;
- Do not use the chopper or the plate on which was the cooked meat;
- Disinfect the chopper with Javel water (aqueous sodium hypochlorite solution) than wash and rinse with cold water;
- Do not let the vegetables come into contact with the raw meat or its juice;
- Wash well all the utensils and dishes that you have used for preparing the raw meat;
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds before and after touching the product.
How to Store Meat in Freezer
How to Store Meat in the Freezer. When you're freezing raw meat, on the other hand, we recommend removing it from packaging and placing it in resealable plastic baggies or airtight containers. Wrap meats very tightly in either plastic wrap or freezer paper, If you're freezing it for longer than a week, wrap each piece of meat in plastic wrap, and then place in resealable bags.
Hope you find this article useful and share it to your friends.